Download the full policy report: Seizing The Future: A World-Class Education For All
Clay’s vision for Rhode Island education:
Rhode Island is a place where quality education must be the foundation of strong and vibrant communities. The state can and should invest in its people through education by developing critical thinking skills, encouraging exploration and discovery, and modeling the behavior we wish to instill in future generations.
For too long, our state has misplaced its focus on divisive education issues like high-stakes testing. As governor, Clay will convene a diverse group of educational leaders to celebrate what is working and identify solutions to challenges facing our education system. In order to be a national leader on education, Clay believes Rhode Island needs to:
- Encourage students to explore ideas and opportunities that go beyond traditional education requirements and settings.
- Empower teachers to use their creativity to tap into students’ learning potential.
- Improve communication and collaboration between elementary and secondary schools, postsecondary institutions, businesses, and organizations.
- Ensure there are safe and secure learning environments for students, teachers, faculty and staff.
In order to achieve his education vision Clay proposes a number of initiatives including:
- Hope Internships
- Higher Education Affordability
- Language Leaders
- International Connections
- School Building Finance
- Education Cabinet
- Career and Technical Opportunities
- State Post Secondary Enrollment Options